Monday, July 5, 2010

Queen of the Prairie is deposed



She's gone, my filipendula, aka Queen of the Prairie. Statuesque, pink, blowsy, easy to grow and gorgeous in the vase, nonetheless I've evicted her. Why?


She's too tall, and wants too much sun. While my my Backyard Garden is quite large, (100' x 100'), it gets progressively shadier as the deciduous trees in the woods ringing it grow inexorably taller. The Queen was leaning over the buddleia, obscuring the hosta, and threatening the pink 'Knockout' rose. I decided a couple of years ago she had to go. Actually getting rid of her, however, was another story.


I began pulling her up in clumps each spring, and potting her up for the Garden Club plant sale. But she was a persistent monarch, and kept sprouting more clumps. Which I kept pulling and potting.


For several years.


This year, no Miss Nice Gal. I yanked her up wherever I found her and tossed her unceremoniously into the woods. I think I finally have the situation under control.


New large hostas, 'Dick Ward', 'Sum of All' and 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd' have taken her place.


I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment