Thursday, April 29, 2010

In Bloom This Week



Actually, lots of things are a-bloom this last week in April. More than should be, in fact. We're waaay early this year. Lilacs, forget-me-nots, lunaria, Korean spice viburnum, tulips, daffodils, crabapples. And so much more. I love my garden at all times in season, but sometimes I think the couple of weeks when the tulips bloom is my absolute favorite.


However. Here's a shot of a quiet corner of my fishpond border. Lamium, of which I'm not overly fond, (because it's aggressive) is admittedly pretty in flower. In this picture it's draped across the rocks around the pond, and looks quite lovely. Perched above it is one of the best small plants for shade, even dry shade. European ginger, grown for its shiny, healthy, round leaves, not the almost-imperceptible flowers which are borne under the leaves. This ginger, planted when the pond was put in 10 years ago, has self-sown and spread. It's not a thug, though. And it's easily transplantable.


Both of these guys will do well in shade, and don't they look pretty against the rocks? I like how they soften the stone, and add color to a monochromatic scene. When you design your gardens, think in contrasts, like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment