Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Vagaries of March



The zephyr breezes of spring that caressed our gardens last week are gone; in their place we have rain and cold. Those cannas I resurrected out of their winter peat storage and potted up? Back into the garage. The multiple flats of pansies? Awaiting warmer temps. I did plant some of them, and will watch the nighttime forecasts. Pansies are cold-tolerant down to about 22 degrees. They may lay over, or look wilted after a night of such cold, but they'll spring back. I'm ready with the Reemay or a flowerpot, though, if the weatherman predicts colder than that.


In the meantime, I'm raking the lawn, pruning the roses, piling the compost high. I'm sharpening the tools, filling patio pots halfway with done compost, and scraping the driveway debris. It's all satisfying work, even if the sun doesn't shine. Soon enough the warmth of April will bring the daffodils and I'll need a truckload of Sweet Peet in my driveway.


In the meantime, the birds think it's spring. They've been checking out the newly-cleaned birdhouses and sounding a serenade. Once it's a little warmer, I'll be singing, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment